Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Vacation side trip

The fireworks on Saturday evening were fab. They have a 1/2 hour show and it is so close, it rattles the walls in my mom's place. Both boys slept right through it.




Sunday morning we met up with my cousin and aunt and took a boat over to Petersburg (http://www.petersburg.org/) where another aunt and some cousins live. My aunt was having a 50 year wedding anniversary party that night so it was great to be able to go. You can take a ferry to get there, which isn't too expensive - $33 each for me and the mister one way and the kids were free but the scheduling didn't work out. You can also take Alaska Airlines but I didn't even price that out, knowing it would be prohibitively expensive. The best option is to know someone who has a boat that can drive you about 15 minutes over there - you also have to know someone on the other side to pick you up as it is about 45 minutes into town from there. My cousin here worked it all out and all we had to do was show up - gotta love that!


My cousin JM's husband G and my uncle were there to collect us. This was the first time meeting JM's husband - he was super nice! JM has a huge playroom on the top floor of their house and the boys were in heaven. We hung out there for a bit and then headed down to my aunt's house to help set up and see everyone. I went back in the early afternoon for J2 to take a nap and soon after that J1 came back since, according to the mister, he wanted to go back to the "house with the toys".


The party was a blast and there was so much food we were all stuffed. People were impressed with J2 as he was toddling around munching on pickled asparagus. I love them and, apparently, so does he. JM has a bouncy house and a pool/water slide in the yard below my aunt's house so the mister and I spent a couple of hours down there with the boys during the party.





The mister and I had a bad night's sleep as we were sharing the bed with J2 and he is a bed hog and kicks a lot - ugh! J1 had a nice bed on the floor so he was happy. I would have liked to plop J2 in bed with him but he probably would have crawled off. G made us delicious french toast and sausage for breakfast and then we just hung out. At 1 we headed out to a beach close to the boat launch and had lunch over a fire. My two aunts, two uncles and cousins and their families were there - 22 people in all I think. The kids played in the water and found treasures on the beach. It was mostly fun but sort of hard with J2 since there was the fire so we couldn't just let him roam freely and the beaches are rocky so that wasn't safe for roaming either. But we made it with little trauma and got on the boat back to Wrangell again. The evening was uneventful but hot. We were praying for clouds as the house was 80 degrees but no such luck. Things should be pretty mellow from here on out. There is a "tot swim" at the local pool today so we may head up there. J2 loves the pool.


Aunts, uncles and cousins


Corralling the J2 and the bonfire



No comments:

Post a Comment