Wednesday, June 17, 2009

For those who missed it...

Which was basically my whole side of the family - not that I'm bitter! :)

Jack turned one at the end of May. Don't know how that happened so fast. It seems like time went super slow when J1 was a baby. There was plenty of time to fill out the baby book, take tons of pictures, learn sign language, make baby food, you get the picture. When J2 was born (like a month ago it seems) that just wasn't the case. The baby book is only a tad bit filled out although I have a plan. I know of the basic timeline for most things so I am just going to pick a date and memorialize it - once it is in the book, that is when it happened! There are actual weeks that went by with no pictures taken - ugh. This blog is helping in that regard like scrapbooking used to help - "oh, that will be great for the blog, better take some pictures." My whole picture-taking life used to be ruled by scrapbooking. I would set up shots with my layouts in mind - not faking anything but just making sure I had ample pictures to tell the story. But with the birth of J2, scrapbooking basically went out the window. I just haven't made the time. Facebook doesn't help with my time management either but let's not go there.

On his actual birthday, he had his 1 year checkup - shots and all. Oops, forgot about the shot aspect of that appointment when I made it but since he is just one, it didn't mean anything to him being miserable on that day verses any other day. And since he is such a squirmer, he got some scrapes from the needle and an extra poke. I'll keep that in mind for next time. So that day passed without much fanfare. The mister's birthday was two days before that and I made him yummy mac & cheese with bacon which he *had* to eat as leftovers for a couple of days so he was happy. The party plan was a BBQ on Sunday celebrating both boys' birthdays with just family since the one year old doesn't really have friends. I guess I could have invited some of the mister's friends but it didn't occur to me until just now - sorry mister!

All my in-laws came plus my bff D and her mom. Also my friend Mo and her family. The first time I had seen her little one, LJ, since the hospital so that was great. Here is our spread of food and the cupcakes. Hiding behind the bowl of chips is the trifle I made for the mister - his fav - homemade angel food cake, homemade pudding and strawberries and bananas. Very yummy. The cupcakes and frosting were also homemade. It is easier to make things from scratch because of J1's food allergies - plus I just like to. We also (and when I say "we" I really mean "the mister") made burgers, hot dogs and chicken.





Here is J2 opening J1's presents. J2 was oblivious and J1 was pretty happy so that worked out. And J2 eating his cupcake. He was pretty sticky.




I mentioned that we had some fruit trees and blueberries in the yard. Here are some pictures:


Looks like a bumper crop of blueberries this year - hooray!



Our pear tree is five kinds grafted together (so it can pollinate itself) and this is one of them.



Another pear - there are quite a few growing. I think we got about six last year but none grew enough to actually taste good.





One of many, many apples - Macintosh I think. We got a few edible ones last year - 6 of the 15 that grew. J1 picked the other 9 when they were about the size of a walnut. Bitter!


One of the two lone plums we have growing. I think this spot is cursed for fruit trees. Our peach never did much and then got sick so we replaced it with this plum which also has five kinds grafted together.


The Pretzel Wars



J1 decided to share these pretzels with J2 (and the floor). J2 clearly has handfuls of pretzels but would still grab J1's pile so J1 was protecting them by laying on them. What a mess!

1 comment:

  1. Love all the pics and commentary!! hehe J2 has something in his mouth in every shot, he's silly! Wish I could eat all day and stay skinny!

    ReplyDelete