Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Funny boys and a crazy garden

So I wasn't going to post until I got my new computer up and running (so I wasn't tempted to throw this one through the window - more for the window's sake than the computer) but it won't be ready until tomorrow (hopefully) and I have a few minutes. I should be cleaning my office but I don't love cleaning. Just ask my everyone. My mom used to pay my sister to clean my room. Good all around I say. Okay, so my "office" is just an "L" shaped computer desk surrounded by a very large baby gate. That is to keep the kids out not to keep me in. By now J1 can just climb over the gate but doesn't for the most part. J2 just stands outside the gate and cries until I let him in so it is mostly just to contain the mess I guess. So earlier today I was stuffing the cloth diapers and watching Denise Richard's reality show (which is pretty good btw). J2 was napping and J1 was being pretty quiet - always a worry. I told him to get out of my gate - it was just a guess but I knew I had left it open. He came running in and said that I had left the gate open but he had closed it. So when I asked what he had been doing he said "I was just doing something I wasn't supposed to be doing". Gotta love the honesty. Turns out he was playing with my new computer which is on the dining room table but it is only the monitor and the mouse so there wasn't much he could do. Funny though.



Last night we were in the backyard, J1 running around like a crazy boy (is there another way??), J2 chewing on rocks (his favorite backyard pasttime), the mister was touching up the shed and I was playing with my new camera.










Then J2 moved on to the sand table - ugh! They both had to go straight into the bath.




(check out this picture close up - super cute)





The mister built me a raised garden this year so I could grow veggies with J1 and hopefully convince him to eat some. Right now the only veggies he gets are part of his Vfusion juice that is apparently 1/2 fruit and 1/2 veggies. Lame. J2 eats cucumber, broccoli, tomato, feta cheese, meat - all things J1 won't. J1 has food allergies so we couldn't easily share our meals with him. I think it makes a huge difference to just give your kid's bites of your dinner to expand their horizons. But I digress... In March I planted peas, onions, carrots and lettuce. Then last month I added tomatoes and herbs (in containers), squash (just in the ground), beans, peppers and cucumbers. We also have 3 fruit trees, strawberries and blueberries. And J1 is old enough not to pick green blueberries this year and hopefully J2 is oblivious to the fact that it is something to bother and stick to his rocks. So here are my peas - they are totally out of control - taller than me.



But no actual peas yet. They are blooming so I guess that is the first step. I am doing fine with my garden - pulling the weeds out and keeping it watered. I am not down with the bug thing yet. I found a caterpiller in my lettuce the other day. I gingerly grabbed it and tossed it over the fence (sorry neighbors!) and then saw a bunch of caterpiller eggs way down in the lettuce. I assume that is what they are as they looked like the pictures in "The Very Hungry Caterpiller" - my only exposure to such things. Anyway, I immediately called my MIL and asked her what to do. She said I could a) pick them off, b) try to wash them off with the hose or c) pull the lettuce out and start over. After shuddering I chose option c. The plants had been around a while and had produced quite a bit of lettuce already so into the yard debris cart they went. Ick. Okay, back to cleaning the office as J2 should be up soon and I need to come up with something for dinner.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your garden...heck, we don't even have a backyard yet (don't get me started!).

    And I'm glad I'm not the only one who procrastinates on cleaning. Lillie napped for *5* hours today and I got absolutely NO cleaning done. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we do have a few more years of home ownership over you guys so you have plenty of time to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. J1 has the funniest things to say! I love it!! You DID wrap gifts for me as I HATE that as much as you dislike cleaning :)

    I'd love to grow peas & carrots too. Alas, no dirt and I'm not home for as long as I can be each summer, so I guess it's not happening, I AM impressed though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right, I forgot about the gift wrapping. You must love it that I send your kids gifts directly to you from Amazon unwrapped! lol

    ReplyDelete