Sunday, June 28, 2009

Reminiscing...

So I haven't posted lately because I am feeling sad about my changed vacation. Trying to get over it but what has inspired me to post is these old pics I came across while searching for items for the childhood scrapbook album I am working on.


First are "cool" pictures of me and my sister.



The first one of her is cool because she is wearing a famous "hang ten" hoodie. Those were so popular and elusive for us no-so-wealthy types. And if she didn't have braces, they hadn't been off long so that is cool too.



In case you can't tell, I am wearing a Shawn Cassidy shirt in this one. Who is more cool than Shawn Cassidy really?? There are eight candles on my (cherry chip) cake so this was late-ish 70's. Mom always let us choose our cake flavor and dinner on our birthdays. I chose cherry chip for many years it seems. I remember choosing some sort of beef roast for dinner and it seems like my sister chose pork roast. Or maybe vice versa - hard to remember. What kid chooses that sort of dinner? Probably those mostly raised on canned and jarred food. Not that my mom couldn't cook - she makes a mean chili, mac & cheese and, apparently, pot roast. She was a working mom and just didn't have the time. Most of us can relate - except back then I don't think people were heaping on the mommy guilt.



Well, the coolness of this one is just obvious really. This was at the beach by our parent's house in AK. I think this was the summer after we moved to that house and sissy was visiting from mom's - mid 80's. We spent a lot of time taking pictures that summer and not doing much else. Fun times!



This is the famous Doug Dawson from Deadliest Catch. We hung out a lot back in the day. Wasn't he cool even back then? I think he is about 11 here.



This was my dad's cat - Kitty. She actually used the toilet which was awesome - if not a bit disturbing. This was in the early 70's (can't you tell from the colors and style of the bathroom?) and I *think* my dad taught her to do this. He is a thrifty man who appreciates things to be neat - neither of which is achieved by having a litter box.



And last is this picture of my cousin. I am hoping to see her this summer. She lived with us when I was 11 or 12 for about a year I think. She had her first son then, my first real time spent with babies. Her son is my first cousin once removed and second cousin to my kids for those who care. :) Anyway, this baby is all grown up now and has a child the same age as J1. Crazy since I only remember him as this tiny baby.

3 comments:

  1. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    You made me cry!!!!!

    At first I thought that was a pic of me with black make up and the same hoodie (don't ask!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember a good amount of chores that summer! And Kelsey has 2 kids...one about J2's age too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHHHHHHHHH My gawddddddddddd LOVE THEM!!!!!

    ReplyDelete